[EM] Weak Condorcet winners [was: FairVote are not the friendliest]

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:04:09 PDT 2011

Hi Jameson,

Well i think the argument that two-rounds systems are silly and
complex, can be countered with the fact that it is used all throughout
Europe and elsewhere. I woud say runoff elections are the standard way
of conducting single member  elections. Even though I have no data for
this claim, the "silly and complex" argument against multiple rounds
is easily countered.

As for the argument "why two rounds-arent they sure about their own
method?". This argument can be countered by arguing, that we leave it
to the voter to chose which method and candidate she prefers rather
than some, almost exclusively male, politicians.

And as for the issue of focusing on the disadvantages of plurality.
Anti-reform lobby will focus on the disadvantages of the "other
election system", and the voter wont be able to tell which side is
right, so he will rather go with the tried and tested FPTP or whatever
system they currently use.

But if the issue is framed as: hey guys, we know our method isnt
perfect, the winner can sometimes be a "nobody", and neither is yours,
the winner can sometimes be a person which very few voters actually
support. But hey, if we can chose which winner of the two methods
actually will be the guy who gets the seat, then it is much less
likely that we will elect a the wrong guy in the end and we also have
a second chance to focus on the pros and cons of only two candidares
and not tens of them.

Well something along those lines is what I imagine could be helpful in
selling the two-round reform path.

Best regards
Peter Zbornik