[EM] Kemeny challenge

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Sep 14 10:08:49 PDT 2011

Large pairwise-count numbers do not increase the likelihood of a longer
computation time.  They just test the processor's integer limit, or the
language-specified integer limit, or the efficiency of big-integer
algorithms.

Based on lots and lots of calculations using lots and lots of real data,
I've learned that just a few ballots (which corresponds to small
pairwise-count numbers) are more likely to increase the computation
time.  This makes sense when you stop and think about it.

If you come up with a ballot-based version of this challenge (rather
than this pairwise-count version), I'd like to try it out.

Regardless of the results, remember that real elections only require
identifying the winner, whereas here we are discussing the computation
time for producing a full ranking.

Richard Fobes