[EM] Kemeny Condorcet method. Apparently not a good choice for those of us who want to know who won in our lifetimes.

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 07:46:32 PDT 2011

one very simple algorithm for Kemeny ranking
is the "quicksort" method.

That is, you pick a random candidate X.  You then
partition the others into two sets: above and below Xm,
by consulting random voters.
You then recursively sort the two resuitling subsets of candidates.

This method produces random ordering of the candidates selected from a
non-uniform distribution, which is biased in a good direction.  In
particular if the votes
all agree then it will get the best permutation immediately.
The point is that this bias means, that if you keep trying this over
and over, you will find the best permutation faster than if you just
tried uniform-random permutations over and over.

There are many other such heuristic hacks.
One of the better ones seems to be based on Copeland voting plus local search.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking
"endorse" as 1st step)
and
math.temple.edu/~wds/homepage/works.html