[EM] Executive Summary for Declaration

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Sep 7 21:25:58 PDT 2011

On 9/7/2011 2:09 PM, Peter Zbornik wrote:
 > I still think the 12 page declaration (incl table of contents) needs an
 > executive summary. The table of contents does not in my honest opinion
 > give good enough information.

I agree that the declaration needs an executive summary.  Here is what
I've come up with as a first draft:

----- Executive Summary -----

This declaration, which has been signed by election-method experts from
around the world, publicly denounces the use of plurality voting in
governmental elections.  Plurality voting mistakenly assumes that the
candidate who receives the most ballot marks – on single-mark ballots –
is the most popular.  Plurality voting also suffers from vote splitting,
which is what forces political parties to offer only a single choice in
each election.

As replacements for plurality voting, this declaration recommends four
significantly fairer election methods, namely, in alphabetical order:
Approval voting, any Condorcet method, Majority Judgment voting, and
Range voting.  These methods use better ballots – namely the Approval
ballot, Ranked ballot, and Score ballot – to collect much more
preference information compared to plurality's primitive single-mark ballot.

The lack of awareness about plurality voting's unfairness arises from
its use of single-mark ballots, which not only fail to collect enough
information to correctly identify the most popular candidate, but also
fail to collect enough information to produce proof or evidence of the
unfair results.

Computer technology now makes it easy to count better ballots and
correctly identify who deserves to win.  All the supported methods are
based on the fact that a majority of voters, not just a plurality of
voters, must approve or prefer the winning candidate in order to produce
fairer results.

In spite of the academically recognized, well-known unfairness of
plurality voting, it is used throughout Canada, the United Kingdom, the
United States, and to some extent nearly every democracy around the
world.  As a consequence of adopting fairer election methods, this
declaration's signers expect the benefits to include a dramatically
reduced gap between voters and government, more easily -- and fairly --
resolved political conflicts, and significantly increased economic
prosperity for any region that adopts fairer election methods.

Significantly the election-method experts do not support the use of
instant-runoff voting, which is also known as the alternative vote.
This method is based on the mistaken belief that the candidate with the
fewest plurality votes is the least popular candidate.

The four supported methods also can be adopted for use in
non-governmental situations, such as electing an organization's
officers, making democratic decisions, and electing corporate board members.

The signers of this declaration do not share any common political
beliefs, and are confident that the recommended election reforms will
not favor any particular political parties or political orientations.
Their clearly stated goal is to improve election fairness by replacing
primitive plurality voting with any of the fairer supported methods.
Their expectation is that a higher level of democracy will lead to
higher standards of living, reduced conflicts, and widespread greater
economic prosperity, just as replacing monarchies and dictatorships with
plurality voting has produced dramatic and widespread benefits.

The signers urge everyone to learn more about how voting should be done
– using Approval voting, Condorcet methods, Majority Judgment voting, or
Range voting – and begin adopting the supported voting methods in
whatever situations currently, yet inappropriately, use plurality voting.

It mentions some concepts that currently aren't in the declaration
itself, so if this executive summary is liked, adjustments will need to
be made in either this summary or in the declaration.

Also note that this summary does not mention PR. We still need to decide
what to do about that section. It is long yet just says we like PR but
oppose closed-list PR.

Richard Fobes