[EM] SODA unfairly hobbles nonparanoid voters.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 02:28:14 PDT 2011

Basically, ⸘Ŭalabio‽'s objection is that SODA does not allow non-bullet
votes to be delegable. The reason that SODA is designed that way is not
"paranoia", as ⸘Ŭalabio‽ claims, but rather simplicity.

To see why multiple delegable votes would be confusing, consider the
following scenario. Let us say that I vote for A and B. After the votes are
counted, it turns out that all the other voters voted for X or Y, in a 50/50
proportion. My delegated vote could be decisive. But A approves X, and B
approves Y. So both of these approvals are added to my delegated vote, which
ends up being useless in deciding between X and Y.

Also, making multiply-delegated votes possible would entirely ruin SODA's
summability. This would make a number of useful anti-fraud measures
impossible, including precinct-level counting, sampled count audits, and
voter-auditable cryptographic ballot receipts like those of heliosvoting.org
.

⸘Ŭalabio‽, I understand and sympathize with your desire for multiple
delegation, but I do not see how a SODA-like system could meet that desire
without too high a cost in complexity and insecurity. If you think that you
can resolve these issues, please propose a specific solution and explore its
implications. As you know, voting system design often involves trade-offs,
and so "doing P has disadvantage Q" is not a good objection against a system
unless it's accompanied by "alternative S avoids Q without causing any other
disadvantages as serious".

Jameson