[EM] Declaration of Election-Method Experts and Enthusiasts

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Thu Sep 1 12:51:29 PDT 2011

On 9/1/2011 8:58 AM, Fred Gohlke wrote:
> It's too easy to fall into the trap of becoming so absorbed with the
> minutiae of methods that the purpose of the process is obscured.
>
> One guard against this eventuality is to include in Fobes 'Declaration'
> the principle that electoral methods are designed to afford the
> electorate meaningful participation in the electoral process. Last week
> I suggested identification of principles as a prelude to creating the
> declaration, in the hope the members would include such a principle.
>
> Do you think it worth considering that there are attempts to establish
> democratic regimes going on at several places in the world? Would it not
> be proper to discuss the flaws we've experienced in the party-based
> model openly and in considerable depth so those struggling with
> embryonic systems can avoid them?
>
> Fred Gohlke

If the Declaration does not yet convey what you call "the principle that
electoral methods are designed to afford the electorate meaningful
participation in the electoral process", then please suggest words that
convey what's missing.

I think that the listed benefits (of election-method reform) cover most
of your "participation" principle, but if we're missing anything, please
suggest specific words that will plug into the document to clarify
anything important that is not yet covered.

This declaration is not intended to be "Fobes 'Declaration'." I'm
contributing my tech-writing and marketing-writing skills to improve its
readability and to help inspire the reader to action, but everyone here
should be telling me and Jameson Quinn what they want included.

(Not that there's room for much more, but if there's something
overlooked and very important, we can squeeze it in, and if necessary
find something less important to remove.)

And yes, the fact that many places around the world are struggling to
create and sustain democracy is a good reason to get this declaration
signed and shared.

But the world has already waited long enough for us to formulate
agreed-on wording about abstract principles, and that opportunity is
gone. Now we need to express support for specific election-method
reforms -- and not "split our vote" in opposition to plurality voting.

Thanks,

Richard Fobes