[EM] PR >> Best Single-Winner Method > FPTP

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 11:49:44 PDT 2011

Most of the discusssion on this group is about single-winner methods and while it's important to get things right for elections with single winners, I don't think I can be alone in thinking that with parliamentary elections, the gap (in quality) between any half-decent PR method and the "best possible" single-winner method would be greater than the gap between the best possible single-winner method and FPTP. I don't know so much about in America or other places (in terms of how realistic it is), but I certainly think that in the UK, that is where we should be concentrating. I don't think it's particularly realistic in the UK anyway, but I think we're probably more likely to get some form of PR than any of Approval/Range/Condorcet/Majority Judgement - and not forgetting SODA.