[EM] Kemeny Condorcet method. Apparently not a good choice for those of us who want to know who won in our lifetimes.

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:22:41 PDT 2011

I have on this thread at the CES
   http://groups.google.com/group/electionscience/t/b135bdc214c39ffa
reviewed some known theoretical and empirical facts about the Kemeny Condorcet
voting method.

In particular, it appears based on my literature review that humanity,
using 2006-2011 era hardware and software, is currently unable to
reliably determine the Kemeny winner from the votes in 5-voter,
50-candidate test elections generated by certain reasonable kinds of
random vote-generating processes.

The Wikipedia article
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemeny%E2%80%93Young_method
is somewhat misleadingly worded on this point.   It makes it sound
like no problem,
but actually the very paper they cite says quite the opposite.

Further comments will be welcome.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking