[EM] Declaration edits: proportional representation, ending paragraph

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Sep 9 23:54:29 PDT 2011

In the declaration, I've shortened the section titled "proportional
representation".  I think it's now closer to what we need to say.  Here
it is:

----- Proportional representation -----

Complications arise when an election fills a legislative seat, such as a
seat in a legislature, congress, or parliament. For this purpose many
nations use "proportional representation" because it matches the
proportion of legislators from each political party with the proportion
of voters who, on their ballot, associate themselves with each political
party. Unanimously we support the continued use of proportional
representation in governments that already use it.

If a government uses the "closed-list" version of proportional
representation, we unanimously support switching to either a
"candidate-centric" or "open-list" version of proportional
representation. We oppose the closed-list version because it disregards
candidate-specific voter preferences, and transfers power to people who
are not elected, and who cannot easily be removed from their position of
power.

Although many of us would like to express support for adopting
proportional representation in nations that do not yet use it, we cannot
do so because it would violate our pledge that there are no risks in
making the changes we support. Adopting proportional representation by a
government that does not already use it would involve both political and
economic risks, even though it would also lead to numerous benefits.
There are circumstances under which we would support the adoption of
specific kinds of proportional representation for specific governments,
but we cannot offer specific recommendations here.

Regardless of how legislative seats are filled, we unanimously oppose
the use of plurality voting in any aspect of filling legislative seats,
and we unanimously support replacing those uses of plurality voting with
any of our four supported election methods.

----- end -----

Here is a suggestion for a new final paragraph:

----- Suggested final paragraph -----

The unfairness of plurality voting has been known for centuries, but
nothing has been done about it because voters have had no evidence of
the unfairness, computers are needed to calculate three of our four
supported counting methods, instant-runoff voting was expected to be an
acceptable improvement, and until now election-method experts have not
publicly spoken out against plurality voting. Now it is time to begin
putting plurality voting where it belongs, namely in historical records
as an early, primitive step in the progress toward higher levels of
democracy.

I've also done some rearranging, and some edits here and there.  If you
haven't yet done so, please look at the document and add comments,
especially about issues where we have posted questions in the comments.

In advance, thanks for your feedback!

Richard Fobes