[EM] question about Schulze example (A,B,M1,M2)

capologist capologist at cox.net
Mon Oct 31 16:03:51 PDT 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 8:16 AM, election-methods-request at lists.electorama.com wrote:

> I entered your example into the (free) VoteFair-ranking service at
> VoteFair.org and here is the results page:
>
> http://www.votefair.org/cgi-bin/votefairrank.cgi/votingid=10305-48109-09917
>
> VoteFair popularity ranking is mathematically equivalent to the
> Condorcet-Kemeny method.
>
> The "Data and Calculation Summary" section lists the pairwise counts,
> and this might be the "tool" you are looking for.  These pairwise
> counts, which are the same for both the Condorcet-Schulze and
> Condorcet-Kemeny methods, show that M1 is preferred over M2 by two voters.
>
> Richard Fobes

Thanks, Richard. Unfortunately, that solution is not applicable to my situation. My example is a simplification of an issue I came across. The actual scenario deals with a much larger number of candidates so that a pairwise-results matrix would not be a picture readily digested by a human, and the Kemeny method would be impossible to compute.