[EM] a response to Andy J.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:37:57 PDT 2011

2011/10/31 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>

>>> dlw: I'm sure if we used a mix of PR and single-winner elections that
>>> 3rd parties would get enuf status to instill rules that would make running
>>> clones a losing idea for major parties.
>>>

>> But wait a minute. The turkey/clone would not actually have to make it
>> into the top three to make the LNH failure a problem. It would only have to
>> be a possibility which is plausible to the "Dem" voters (in the Burlington
>> example). Given how Australian voting patterns seem to show voters burying
>> even with a real LNH guarantee, I still think that your 90% LNH is is not,
>> as you claim, equivalent to 100% LNH for practical purposes.
>>

> I guess I don't quite get your point.
> My point is that given the use of American forms of PR, 3rd parties cd
> enforce campaign finance transparency laws that would make the use of
> clones not feasible.

In the Burlington case, imagine you're a Dem voter. You think: "If I can
keep the Prog from being in the top 3, the Dem wins. So I'll vote for the
[Dem clone/ UFO party candidate] in 3rd place instead of the Prog." My
point is that this attempted strategy doesn't actually have to successfully
put the UFO candidate above the Prog for it to be a problem. Even just
attempting it brings a risk that the Republican will win - a risk that
could be self-reinforcing as both Dems and Progs attempted such a strategy,
perhaps even using the same UFO candidate as a proxy. (And the Republican
voters could safely encourage this chaos by also bottom-ranking the UFO
candidate).

If you're about to argue that Dem voters wouldn't do that and risk electing
a Republican... remember that that same argument would refute any
importance at all for the LNH criterion. It may be correct that LNH doesn't
matter - but that's not how FairVote thinks.