[EM] hello from DLW of "A New Kind of Party":long time electoral reform enthusiast/iconoclast-wannabe...

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 09:20:36 PDT 2011

> Also, it is very easy to sound like a whiny loser when talking about PR
> (either a third-party loser or local-minority-party loser). So there's no
> way single-winner issues should be put on the back burner. We can walk and
> chew gum here. (Gum on back burner ... eewww)
> Jameson:Also, it is very easy to sound like a whiny loser when talking
> about PR (either a third-party loser or local-minority-party loser). So
> there's no way single-winner issues should be put on the back burner. We
> can walk and chew gum here. (Gum on back burner ... eewww)
>

> dlw: once again, if we frame it as solving a problem then it's not a
matter of whining.
3-5 seat forms of PR or quasi-PR are very much needed for "more local"
elections that otherwise tend to be rarely competitive due to de facto
segregation.

This is not about getting third party candidates elected, it's about making
our polity tend towards a contested(and far more dynamic) political
duopoly, rather than a (somewhat contested) political monopoly.

dlw