[EM] question about Schulze example (A,B,M1,M2)

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sun Oct 30 21:13:39 PDT 2011

On 10/28/2011 2:21 PM, capologist wrote:
 > Not quite what I'm looking for. ...
 > I'm looking for a deterministic method for generating a "picture"
 > (partial ordering) of how the voters, in aggregate, feel about the
 > preferability of the available options.  (What we're doing at this
 > stage is more akin to a poll than an election.)  It seems to me that
 > the A>(M1,M2)>B ordering does not reflect the voters' preferences as
 > well as the A>M1>M2>B ordering.

I entered your example into the (free) VoteFair-ranking service at
VoteFair.org and here is the results page:

http://www.votefair.org/cgi-bin/votefairrank.cgi/votingid=10305-48109-09917

VoteFair popularity ranking is mathematically equivalent to the
Condorcet-Kemeny method.

The "Data and Calculation Summary" section lists the pairwise counts,
and this might be the "tool" you are looking for.  These pairwise
counts, which are the same for both the Condorcet-Schulze and
Condorcet-Kemeny methods, show that M1 is preferred over M2 by two voters.

Richard Fobes