[EM] Proxy Direct Democracy

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Oct 30 12:38:52 PDT 2011

Dear Mike (and Kathy),

Mike wrote:
> And a proxy needn't be a political figure, party leader, candidate,
> or anyone special.  One's proxy could be _anyone_ whom one wants to
> vote for hir. (As designated for a particular issue-category, or a
> particular vote, or as pre-chosen default proxy).  It could be a
> friend, family member, or any kind of public figure or advocate,
> etc.

I see such flexibility as a step toward the more general facility of
giving the elector hir own ballot to do with as s/he pleases.  In that
sense, proxy voting is a partial solution to the problems described
here in my thesis, which I trace precisely to the lack of such a
facility: http://zelea.com/project/autonomy/a/fau/fau.xht

I do technical work with proxy voting myself for project Votorola.
See the figure caption at bottom for links to the voting theory:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/home.xht

> As You [Kathy] suggested, you could designate a different proxy for
> various kinds of issues. But there could be different opinions on
> which issues are in which categories, unless vote issues are
> specifically designated by categories. For that reason, it might be
> necessary to designate such special proxies at the time of
> voting. But maybe not: Maybe, if vote issues are
> officially-designated by category, you could have pre-chosen proxies
> for different categories of votes.
>
> Of course, in addition, you could designate a special proxy (or a
> special ranking of proxies) for any particular vote too.

We found it simpler to begin there, with the assumption that the voter
would cast a separate vote on every issue.  This is the general case
for us.  Category voting then becomes the special case; or actually
cases, because we allow any number of category schemes to be layered
atop the simple general system.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528