[EM] Proportional, Accountable, Local (PAL) representation: isn't this a big deal?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 11:56:07 PDT 2011

2011/10/25 Andy Jennings <elections at jenningsstory.com>

> Hi Jameson,
>
> I looked over it.  I didn't see any technical problems immediately, but I'm
> going to try to re-read it a few more times and keep thinking it over.  My
> emotional response, though, is that it's probably beyond the complexity
> limit for actual implementation anytime soon.  The idea that "candidates
> from your district are in a bigger font and candidates outside your
> co-districts aren't listed at all but you can write them in" is a clever
> trick, but I don't know if people will go for it.

(Note: I've renamed "co-district" as "super-district")

The super-district idea and ballot design are not fundamental. For
simplicity, it would work fine if only the candidates from your local
district were available, as long as you could write-in candidates from other
districts.

> Clarification on terminology: When you say "Fair Representation", is that
> the same thing as "Fair Majority Voting"?

Yes. Oops. I'd already fixed this error on the page.

> - I know "Fair Majority Voting" from here:
> http://mathaware.org/mam/08/EliminateGerrymandering.pdf
> - I know Balinski has a more complicated system that allows multiple
> winners per district.  I forget what it's called, biproportional
> apportionment, maybe?

Don't know that one. Can you find a link?

> - When I hear "Fair Representation", I think of his book with Young (
> http://books.google.com/books?id=eBFNzSeAv_sC) which is all about
> congressional apportionment, not about PR or voting systems.

Sorry, mistake.

> More general questions:
>
> What are your main priorities here?  Just to find some way to use the SODA
> ballot for a PR election?  Do you see locality as a must-have or as a
> nice-to-have that also decreases the complexity of the ballot?

The main priority is to make a proportional system which can use the
existing district structure, but doesn't suffer from FMV's flaws (see next
section below)

> What advantages does this have over straight FMV?  Just that it uses a SODA
> ballot?  The fact that you are almost certain to have a representative of
> your own party?

Compared to straight FMV, this has 4 advantages. In descending importance:
1. In FMV, a minority candidate can beat a majority candidate in that same
district. In PAL, there is a "chain of custody" of the delegated votes, so
you can see that each winner has attained exactly the same quota of votes.
2. FMV gives too much power to the parties. A vote for one candidate from
party X is assumed to be equivalent to voting for any other candidate from
that party. In PAL, both candidates and voters have some recourse to be able
to vote for party X but not candidate Y in that party. (Voter recourse is
the purpose of using the SODA ballot. If the SODA ballot were considered too
complex, I'd consider just write-ins to be an acceptable, though inferior,
substitute; because with full choice, you could probably find a candidate
whose preferences were close enough to yours.)
3. As you say, PAL lets you track which representative from your party is
"yours".
4. PAL lets votes for unsuccessful parties be reassigned to larger parties.

I consider 1 and 2 above to be important enough to design a new system. Yes,
1 is only symbolic, really; but it's a doozy. I can't imagine convincing a
majority to support FMV in spite of this simple opposition talking point.
Also, note that fixing 2 makes the fix for 1 more than just symbolic.

> Why not just use straight FMV with a "districting" step for each party
> afterwards?  For example, say we use FMV and party A gets 5 seats, party B
> gets 4 seats, and party C gets 1 seat.  We take a clean map and divide it
> into five regions so that there are an equal number of A voters in each
> region.  Those are the districts for party A voters.  Take another clean map
> and divide it into four regions so there are an equal number of B voters in
> each region, and those are the districts for the party B voters.  The party
> C map doesn't get divided up because they all are represented by the one
> seated C candidate.

That would work to fix issue 3 above, but it seems to me more complicated
than my system. It is also a more radical change, especially from the
perspective of an incumbent. Also, it's more unlike FMV, which is the only
PR system legal under current federal law.

> Maybe you could use some kind of weighted Vonoroi to choose the districts
> so that the districts cluster around the homes of the seated representatives
> from that party.  Or maybe you would use splitline or some other districting
> method.  Or maybe you let each party decide how to divide up their map
> themselves.  I'm hoping there wouldn't be much gerrymandering because these
> "party districts" don't affect future elections in any way.  They're just
> done so you can show people "if you voted for party A, then look at this map
> to see who your party A representative is."

This would work. Again, it only fixes issue 3.

> Or maybe you don't care that the number of A voters is exactly the same in
> each of party A's regions, then you can just agglomerate the legislative
> districts into relatively balanced co-districts.

That's basically what PAL does.