[EM] Reposted - New measure of population density fairness for judging proportional fairness of redistricting plans

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 05:35:03 PDT 2011

I have looked further at the PDF measure, and I've found a more-serious
problem.

Using your examples, imagine that the central city, instead of containing 60
Democrats, contains a homogeneous mix of 40 Democrats and 20 Republicans.
Thus, the state as a whole contains 60 Republicans and 40 Democrats, but the
rural areas are intrinsically more partisan (R) than the urban areas (D).
(This is actually unlike the real conditions in many states, which have
strongly-democratic inner cities and weakly-republican rural areas; but the
flaw I'm pointing out would still hold if you shrink the city and make it
the more partisan group.)

Now, the pie-wedge districting is still biased in favor of the majority
party (Republicans in this case). But the hamburger-bun districting is
proportionally fair, while the pac-man districting (favored by the PDF
measure) is not.

I don't see how any nonpartisan measure like PDF could possibly favor the
pac-man when partisanship is evenhanded, but favor the hamburger bun when
partisanship is unbalanced. Since in the real world, except in 2 "reddest"
states [1], Democratic strongholds tend to be more highly-partisan than
Republican ones, I believe that the PDF would systematically favor
Republicans; though perhaps less so than some other partisan-blind systems.
I consider this to be a serious, possibly a fatal, flaw.

Jameson

[1] OK and WY; see
http://www.bostonreview.net/BR36.5/jonathan_rodden_jowei_chen_congressional_redistricting.php