[EM] Plurality with Condorcet polling is effectively Condorcet. Condorcet for 2012!

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 11:51:43 PDT 2011

I think this could be an efficient way to promote ranked methods (primarily Condorcet methods). Physical presence in different plazas may attract also media interest. The results could be also good material for the media.

The first phase of this approach is to collect the ballots. That information (or all the local matrixes) should be made available to all interested parties. The second phase could consist of various approaches to collect national level conclusions from that information. The approach that you described should be one of them, but one should probably not claim that it is the only correct one. The reason to separate the first phase is that first phase information is very solid material (of course not worth actual election ballots but good anyway), but the second phase is subject to choices of those who count the results. Openness adds credibility here. Third phase would be use of various methods to count the results based on the second phase results. Fourth phase would consist of well planned publication of the results (media, own web site).

The geographic weighting approach is one way to correct the bias in the collected ballots. There are however also kind of bias that requires balancing. One key problem is that the results could be very different depending on the plaza where you collect the ballots, time of day etc. In some places you could get democratic results and in some other places republican results. One approach to balancing the results could be to weight them so that republicans and democrats will get about the expected level of support in each state (or at national level). I'll leave the details open since these questions belong to the "free" second phase anyway. There sure are already good methods available in statistics / polling industry.

Material that will be collected at one plaza may not represent people of the whole state - maybe only people within 10 miles from that plaza. For that reason balancing of the results of different plazas based on political bias may be even more important than generalizing them to cover also the nearby areas.

In the third phase all common Condorcet methods are likely to give the same results (maybe the difference between margins and winning votes becomes visible first, but probably also they will give the same results). Also IRV results should be counted for comparison (and will be if first and/or second phase information is available).

One interesting question is how to organize the polls and find all the people that should implement the polls in practice. I think a good approach would be to first plan how the polls will be carried out, including ballot design, actual polling procedure, name and logo for the campaign, and how to record the ballots (and other poll related data like place and time) in digital format. The ballot format could be simply a pdf file that all the volunteers can print and copy. Volunteers will need also a ballot box. I guess any reasonable box will do. You have to trust the volunteers in any case to conduct the polls and do vote counting honestly.

The best way to collect sufficient number of volunteers might be to simply advertise this activity in some appropriate mailing lists and forums / organizations. If you do that properly you might end up having a large number of volunteers. EM list members certainly won't be enough.

In any case the second phase will not be easy, and the results can not be claimed to be very reliable. They could become more reliable if one could compare them to some truly extensive poll or actual ranked election ballots. But that luxury is not available, and therefore the results will unavoidably be just one interesting piece of news, or maybe a best guess and best estimate on what the whole country might have answered.

But on the other hand, if one collects such poll information in a well standardized way (phase 1) that procedure can be repeated, and the results can be compared to the previous results. This means that it might make sense to arrange not only one poll but several polls. Changes between the polls could be measured in a quite reliable way, assuming that many enough of the polling stations would stay the same and would have about the same number of voters at the same day of week. It is thus possible to collect also scientifically meaningful data using multiple polls during one season. Also the next elections could be compared to the previous election.

Good luck with this idea. I think it would be worth trying (and a lot cheaper than asking some gallup company to do it). If you do it well, people might get interested also in the used method in addition to the interesting results.

Juho