[EM] A design flaw in the electoral system

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 03:04:12 PDT 2011

On 19.10.2011, at 1.14, Michael Allan wrote:

>> But maybe if you form a small club (or a large club (=party)) that
>> discusses and finds an agreement on how to vote. Then maybe you get
>> the power that you want.
>
> Only at the cost of political liberty.  To allow a flaw in the
> electoral system to rule my actions would be to surrender to a
> contingency and immediately lose my freedom.

One can do this also without tying oneself in one of the clubs. And one may have informal groups like a mailing list or a web site. This still keeps the freedom of the "my way" path.

Also many electoral systems do their best in trying to hide the opinion of one voter from the others, and thereby support independent decision making.

(If one strongly wants to find even better ways to influence with more than 1/N times the electorate power one can become active in politics and become a candidate and maybe a representative.)

Juho