[EM] majority judgement question

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:12:08 PDT 2011

Great suggestion. I've been thinking along those lines, but I hadn't
expressed it as clearly.

And now that Ross has given me this idea, I can make it even simpler.
 Ross's suggested process is of course equivalent to, and harder to explain
than, using (number above median grade)-(number below median grade) as a
score. The only disadvantage of my version is that it could give negative
numbers. But almost all people over the age of 10 (and a lot of people under
that age) can handle negative numbers just fine, so I think that's OK.

This tiebreaker process is good. It will also tend to agree with the MJ one,
as long as the tied candidates have approximately the same number of votes
at the median grade - which will generally be true for two candidates whose
strengths are similar enough to tie the median grade in the first place.

Here's another "tiebreaker" which I've developed. The advantage is that it
gives a single real-number grade to each candidate, thus avoiding the issue
of "ties" in the first place. I call it "Continuous Majority Judgment" or
CMJ.

Rc= Median rating for candidate c (expressed numerically; thus, letter
grades would be converted to grade-point-average numbers, etc.)
Mc= Number of median ratings for candidate c
Ac= Number of ratings above median for candidate c
Bc= Number of ratings below median for candidate c
|x| = standard notation for absolute value of x

CMJ rating for c = Rc + ((Ac - Bc)/(Mc + |Ac - Bc|))

For approval (that is, binary ratings), the CMJ rating works out to be equal
to the fraction of 1s, as you'd expect. Note that the adjustment factor is
always in the range of -0.5 to 0.5, because the difference |Ac - Bc| can
never be greater than Mc or it wouldn't be the median.

I prefer either of these methods to the MJ method - not for results, but for
simplicity. (Ac - Bc) is simplest to explain, while CMJ is simplest to
compare candidates / post results. All three of them should give the same
results in almost all cases. But Balinski and Laraki preferred the
remove-one-median-rating-at-a-time method because they could prove more
theorems about it, and they wrote the MJ book, so until I write my own book
about it I'm fine with promoting their method.

JQ