[EM] Declaration Status

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Wed Oct 19 07:06:51 PDT 2011

> As we gather signatures, I suggest that we create two lists.
>
> One list -- the one we have now -- includes credentials -- which can be
> academic or anything relevant (including just having an interest in election
> methods).
>
> The second list would not list credentials and instead would just have the
> person's name and location -- by nation and possibly province/state, with a
> city name being optional.  Each signature would be added to the appropriate
> list based on what information they supply in their signature.

It has been suggested that we need to streamline the process of letting
people add their signature.

It wouldn't be too hard to create a web form where people submit their own
name and location and it automatically gets added to the page.  But then you
have to mess with moderation and/or profanity and spam filters.  And you
also have to worry about ballot stuffing.

One way around this, in general, is to make people use a Facebook account.
 But lots of people still don't have Facebook accounts or don't like to use
them, so that's not a perfect solution.

At our startup, AskForIt.com, we originally supported only Facebook login,
but eventually we added the option for people to create an account without
using Facebook.  Should we try to host the declaration on AskForIt.com?
 It's probably not the perfect platform right now, but I can get
functionality added pretty quickly if we need it (and it's okay with the
other founders).  Another option is a competing site, PetitionSpot.com.

Or we could create our own Facebook app to let people sign on.

Or we could just try to use the Facebook like button as the "join"
mechanism.  Tell people to "like" the page if they want to join the
petition.  Then we can use the Facebook social plugins to show faces (and
first names) of people who've joined.  It will even automatically emphasize
the friends of whoever is viewing the page.

But I'm guessing a Facebook-only solution is probably not acceptable.  I
don't even like it very much myself, but it is the easiest way to (mostly)
make sure that each user is a distinct person.

> After the wording is finalized and I find the time, I may create a Facebook
> page to expose the Declaration to young people (who are the ones who will
> push hardest for election-method reform) and hopefully to collect signatures
> (or at least "friend" support) from frustrated voters.  (The suggestion of
> using Facebook came from a door-to-door political-petition signature
> gatherer.)  That copy would be the one I would want to take the time to
> format more nicely than the temporary copy I've created at VoteFair.org.

If we put a Facebook like button on the declaration page and tell people to
"like" if they want to join, then it can actually be linked to a Facebook
page so that liking one is the same as liking the other.

Andy