[EM] Methods

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Oct 18 06:26:03 PDT 2011

On 7/22/64 2:59 PM, matt welland wrote:
> A ranked system cannot give the feedback that all the candidates are
> disliked (e.g. all candidates get less than 50% approval). It also
> cannot feedback that all the candidates are essentially equivalent (all
> have very high approval)
>
> Ironically by trying to capture nuances the ranked systems have lost an
> interesting and valuable part of the voter feedback.
I disagree. To collect this information, all you have to do is introduce
a choice "approved" and let voters rank relative to that choice.

You can also add a choice "disapproved"  to identify the candidates that
most voters really hate.

I have found that in practice using CIVS that it has been helpful to add
choices like these. If nothing else it adds confidence that people are
comfortable with the winning candidate.

If you want to avoid introducing an artificial ranking among equally
hated candidates, just let them be ranked identically.

-- Andrew