[EM] Methods

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Oct 17 16:53:01 PDT 2011

Kristofer offers a bit of thought, but we are still missing too much
of the basic needs.

Voter NEEDs to be able to vote for candidates preferred (plural).
      Approval offers this much, at little cost, but nothing more.

Voter NEEDs to be able to indicate relative preference among those
voted for.  Start with one or more first choices.  Then add in less
liked, wanted only if first choices lose.  For example, vote for the
most tolerable of the expected leaders, wanted only if better cannot
get elected.
      Condorcet ranking is one way to offer this.

Voters NEED to have the desires they express counted.
      IRV is the most visible failure of this type - accepting
Condorcet style ranking, but then making decisions based only on what
are, for the moment, top ranks.

Voting and counting rules need to be kept simple to help with
understanding.

I admit to preference for Condorcet, but demand of others comparable
quality.

Dave Ketchum