[EM] Poll for favorite single winner voting system with OpaVote

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:32:42 PDT 2011

Hi Juho--

.
> 49 A
> 48 B > C
> 03 C

That example doesn't have a bad result at all.

A has no pairwise defeat, and wins as Condorcet winner. I (nowadays at least) define PC
by first saying:

"If any candidate doesn't have a pairwise defeat, that candidate wins."

Sure, if all we said was "The winner is the candidate whose greatest pairwise defeat is the least",
then that could be construed as meaning that C wins, because A doesn't have a pairwise defeat, and,
among the pairwise defeats, C has the smallest one.

If I've ever defined PC in that latter way, only saying what is in quotes in the previous paragraph,
then I didn't write the definition very well. If so, then I apologize for my careless writing of the
definition.

By the way, Juho, speaking of polls (in the other thread), didn't you do an international poll a few years ago.

I was about to ask you to do another one--but this time, just ask people to vote on a _world_ president,
prime-minister, or leader.

I hope you'll consider that.

If you do, here are my nominations:

British MP Livingstone
Arundati Roy (an Indian woman well-known for her humane efforts)
Nelson Mandela

No doubt there are others worthy of candidacy too, but those are the ones that first occur to me.

So, how about an interational poll for world leader?

Mike