[EM] Poll for favorite single winner voting system with OpaVote

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Oct 14 09:48:30 PDT 2011

"Kristofer Munsterhjelm" [km_elmet at lavabit.com] writes:

> MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
>> To the person conducting the poll:
>>
>> Are you going to count the rankings to determine a winner? By what method?
>
> As far as I understood, the intent is, besides gathering votes, to
> demonstrate the web-based polling system. The ballots are therefore
> available in the OpenSTV format and can be counted by any program that
> can read that kind of ballot. The page itself doesn't calculate any
> winners, it just makes the ballots available for those who would want to
> do that calculation.

but i thought they were reporting results in the near future.  how are they reporting their results?  will they be telling us who the STV winner is, the Schulze winner, the Ranked-pairs winner, the Borda winner, the Bucklin winner, the Coombs winner?  if they assign the highest ranked choice to the "single affirmative vote" that the traditionalists want, will they be telling us who the FPTP winner is?  i do not know how to translate a marked ranked ballot into an approval ballot or a score ballot without making assumptions that may not be valid.

what good is the site if it only reports the data and does not digest it in some way?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com