[EM] [CES #3852] condorcet & range voting -- which one yields more condorcet winners?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:11:36 PDT 2011

One other bad mistake I noticed on http://scorevoting.net/MedianVrange.html
:
"Suppose this *"unhappy with all choices" scenario* happens. When it does,
every candidate's median score will be exactly zero. (In contrast: Their *
average* scores will generally be distinct nonzero values, and everything
will be fine.) Hence Balinski & Laraki's tiebreaking procedure will be
invoked. It will elect the candidate with the fewest 0s, which is exactly
antiPlurality <http://scorevoting.net/Glossary.html#antipl> voting."

This is not antiplurality voting, it's just approval voting, with any
non-zero value representing approval, and the additional assumption that no
candidate has a majority of approval. It's a bad situation, with voters who
overall dislike all candidates, but it's not the worst voting system to
handle the situation.

JQ