[EM] Declaration wording refinement

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Tue Oct 11 08:55:15 PDT 2011

Richard Fobes wrote:

> If you have already signed the declaration and do not like the new
> wording, please say so.  If necessary we can remove your signature, but
> hopefully we can resolve any objection (which is likely to be an issue
> for others as well).  If you like the new wording and have already
> signed, no reply is needed.
>
> If this wording refinement is now enticing you to sign this declaration,
> please supply your signature in the previously shown format.  (A
> semicolon separates the signature into: name; contact info
> (non-software-collectible); credentials; election-method preference)

I would prefer the previous version, because it states outright that we
prefer each other's advanced methods to Plurality, which I think is the
case. I don't know about the opinions of the others, but in my opinion,
Plurality is a pretty low bar to clear. Of the "realistic" methods (e.g.
not things like Antiplurality, whoever-comes-last-wins, etc), the only
ones where I'd be cautious to say I prefer them over plurality would be
IRV and Borda.

I would still sign the new version, but I think that if we can agree to
support each other's methods against Plurality, the declaration will be
stronger for it.