[EM] Poll for favorite single-winner voting system with OpaVote

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 08:20:47 PDT 2011

2011/10/9 Jeffrey O'Neill <jeff.oneill at openstv.org>

> I've been working on OpenSTV for about 10 years now, and while it is great
> at counting votes, it doesn't help you run online elections where you can
> collect votes from your voters.
>
> OpaVote (formerly Opal) has been in development since early this year, and
> it now adds this missing piece.  OpaVote is built on Google App Engine and
> you can have elections with up to 40,000 voters, run polls, and run polls
> where voters are required to register.  After using OpaVote, you can count
> the votes with OpenSTV.

I'm happy to see options like this, but I think that until there's a
solution which is both online and open-source, we're still in the dark ages.
I've considered making my own project, but for now I'd rather encourage the
authors of existing options to go open source and put up their code on
public source control.

> To demonstrate what OpaVote can do, I've started a poll to allow people to
> vote for their favorite single-winner voting system.  To vote in this poll,
> you have to register with your email address (to limit ballot box stuffing),
> but your email will not be shared with anyone and will not be used for any
> purpose other than this poll.
>
> You can vote in the poll here:
>     http://www.opavote.org/vote?ekey=agNzdHZyEAsSCEVsZWN0aW9uGO25GQw

This poll has an option for "Bucklin", an ill-defined term; I'd have
preferred "Majority Judgment", because it's clearly defined.

I'd also have asked for an option for SODA voting, or at least a way to
write in what you mean by "other".

Also, I agree that even if you're using IRV/STV to count the ballots, I'd
strongly suggest using a rated (5-star with half-stars) ballot. It's much
easier to vote by rating than by ranking, even if they're equivalent. You
could highlight and disambiguate ties if you need to for IRV counting
(although it would be better if you found a way to allow meaningful tied
rankings, which is possible to do as an extension to IRV).

Jameson