[EM] Enhanced DMC (correction)

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 6 16:26:50 PDT 2011

I got the Woodall monotonicity criterion garbled.  Instead of  "mono-sub-delete" and then
"mono-raise-delete", in both instances I meant  *mono-sub-plump*.  (I've made the corrections
in the text below.)

It means that candidate x shouldn't be harmed (i.e. have his probability of election reduced)
by swapping some ballots that don't have x top-ranked for some that rank x alone in top place
and ignore (or vote equal-bottom) all the other candidates.

In the context of a universe of  ballots that allow only strict ranking from the top, with truncation
(but no other equal-ranking) allowed, Woodall defined it:

<snip>
A candidate x should not be harmed if:
(
are replaced by ballots that have
choice;

<snip>

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4CSOTg18Jla8JeZD7lGf-L15LhewtDexi1BvIN9JQ79d6fDKQfZlI5ygNNqdMM_8b3XPbatc01XxYUjo1LgxMq9WirJdubA/wood1996.pdf

mono-sub-plump) some ballots that do not have x topx top with no second
Also I referred to "Push-over" strategy.  That refers to the strategy of raising some weak candidate to enable
some other candidate to win (or to have a better chance of winning).

It was coined with methods like Top-Two Runoff and IRV in mind. Perhaps "Push-over  *like* strategy" was
more apt for the methods I referred to.

Chris Benham

---
I  like this.  Regarding how approval is inferred, I'm also happy with Forest's idea of using Range
(aka Score) type ballots (on which voters give their most preferred candidates the highest numerical
scores) and interpreting any score above zero as approval and breaking approval ties as any score
above 1 etc.  Or any other sort of  multi-slot ratings ballot where all except the bottom-most slot is
interpreted as approval.

Another idea is to enter above-bottom equal-ranking between any 2 candidates in the pairwise matrix
as a whole vote for both candidates, and then take each candidate X's highest single pairwise score
as X's approval score.

Here are a couple of examples to demonstrate how this method varies from some other Condorcet
methods.

48: A
01: A>D
24: B>D
27: C>B>D

D is the most approved candidate and in the Smith set, and so Smith//Approval elects D.
Forest's "Enhanced DMC" or  "Covering DMC"  (and your suggested "SARR" implementation)
elects B.

B covers D and to me looks like a better winner. This method has a weaker truncation incentive
than Smith//Approval.

25: A>B
27: B>C
26: C>A
22: C

Approvals: C75,  B52, A51.    A>B 51-49,   B>C 52-48,   C>A 75-25

Plain DMC and using MinMax or one of the algorithms that is equivalent to it when there are three
candidates (such as Schulze and Ranked Pairs and River) and weighing defeats either by Winning
Votes or Margins all elect B.

If  5 of  the 22 C voters change to A those methods all elect C (a failure of  Woodall's "mono-sub-plump"
criterion).
 25: A>B
27: B>C
26: C>A
17: C

05: A  (was C)

Approvals: C70,  A56,  B52.    A>B 56-49,   B>C 52-48,   C>A 70-30.

In both cases our favoured method (like Smith//Approval) elects C, the  positionally dominant candidate. It
seems those other methods are more vulnerable to Push-over strategy.

(To be fair, Woodall has demonstrated that no Condorcet method can meet mono-sub-plump)

Chris Benham