[EM] A design flaw in the electoral system

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Oct 4 23:44:04 PDT 2011

James, Juho and Fred, Thanks very much for looking at the argument.

James Gilmour wrote:
> These statements worry me - surely they contain a logical flaw?  If
> these statements were true and every elector responded rationally,
> no-one would ever vote.  Then the outcome would not be the same.

It's an interesting distinction, and it might help in answering a
question I have about how people respond to this information (more on
that below).  But here I think you're looking at the effect of knowing
(if indeed it is true) that a vote has no effect, whereas I'm looking
at the effect of that vote itself.

Maybe the easiest way to understand it is in retrospect, by looking at
past votes that you cast.  I make a statement concerning each of those
votes and its actual effect in the objective world.

Juho Laatu wrote:
> I think it is incorrect or at least misleading to say that
> individual votes do not have any influence. They do, as a group.

If it had no bearing on the argument, then I might agree it's
misleading to say it.  But it's actually the premise of the argument.
Yesterday I wrote to another correspondent:

   A more direct answer [how is it possible?] is in the rounding
   procedure that translates a fine-grained sum into a coarse-grained
   outcome (who gets into office).  In that rounding, the effect of
   the fine grain is lost. ...

   Or, we might stand on empirical grounds and state: the measureable
   effect of an individual vote on the outcome is zero.  Which raises
   another question, "Why are people surprised to learn this?"

James's observation that "no-one would ever vote" if they accepted the
truth of it might figure into the answer.  But I think the fact itself
is indisputable, a matter of empirical science.  A simple thought
experiment will demonstrate this:

   1. Take the last election in which you voted, and look at its
      outcome (P).
   2. Subtract your vote from that election.
   3. Recalculate the outcome without your vote (Q).
   4. Look at the difference between P and Q.
   5. Repeat for all the elections you ever participated in.

Your vote never made a difference.  Most people feel uncomfortable or
perplexed in this knowledge, and I think the feeling indicates that
something's wrong.

Fred Gohlke wrote:
> I am not entirely clear on the flow of logic in your abstract, but I
> get the sense that you're saying voters should be able to cast their
> vote and have it, too ...
>
>     Voters are not pieces of cake.  The act of voting does not
>     remove their needs and desires from the political system.
>     They should be able to continue to influence the political
>     process after they've voted.

I say that electors are physically separated from their ballots, and I
explain why this procedure is necessarily a design flaw.  I trace
other flaws, faults and failures back to this (including the
meaningless vote).  But I say nothing about how to deal with the
situation.  I think we lack an understanding of the overall problem,
so I'm just trying to figure it out.

> If I am offered options that affect my life, options that I've had
> no voice in defining, the ability to choose one of them is neither
> free nor democratic.  On the contrary, it expresses my status as a
> subject of those who defined the options.  The right to vote in such
> circumstances is a farce.

Yet, I believe this too can be traced to the design flaw in the
electoral system.  It's surprising a single flaw could propagate so
many failures, in such different forms, but it appears to be the case.

This draft section (design flaw) dealt only with the flaw itself, and
how it renders the results of the election technically invalid.  Other
sections (not yet drafted) will attempt to uncover the paths by which
the design flaw propagates through society at large.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/