[EM] PR approval voting

Ted Stern araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 11:45:26 PDT 2011

I'd like to stick my oar in here, to point out that I have an
implementation of Range Transferable Vote, which can be used with
Droop or other quotas, that implements PR.

Code for it is located here:

     https://github.com/dodecatheon/range-transferable-vote

It reduces to Approval Transferable Vote in the case of range(0,1).

I had to make one change to it recently to fulfill the Droop
proportionality criterion, which states that if a faction distributes
its votes among L candidates, and has enough votes to elect K <= L
quotas, then the method will elect K candidates from the set of L
candidates.

For RTV, this meant that I had to find a way to elevate range
preferences in the event that no candidate achieves a quota.

The way I implement this is to increase non-zero ratings incrementally
(up to maximum score) until at least one candidate makes quota.

This pushes RTV into the territory of Bucklin-style methods, and
therefore it does not satisfy the Independence from Irrelevant
Alternatives criterion, even in the single-winner case.

Ted

--
araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com