[EM] A structural fault in society owing to a design flaw in the electoral system

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Oct 2 14:14:36 PDT 2011

Good Afternoon, Michael

This is one of the most important posts I've seen on Electorama.

Before attempting to respond, I've spent a little time reviewing the
links you supplied.  The volume, depth and breadth of the discussion is
a bit intimidating.  It will take some time to get up to speed on all of
it.  I did pick up on this post of yours from Saturday, September 24th,
on the metagovernment site:

      "It's been dawning on me that we need *first* to
       speak of the problem.  I was hoping this would be
       a constructive point to raise ..."

You are, of course, absolutely right.  When seeking solutions, it's wise
to first identify the problem.  I'd like to participate in the
discussion but am not a member of the metagovernment group.  You must
think the posters thoughtful enough to justify your effort.  Do you
think I'd be welcome there?

With regard to the topic you raised, Daniel Ortiz of the University of
Virginia provided a somewhat different description of the efficacy of
voting in The Paradox of Mass Democracy, p. 210-225 of Rethinking the Vote.

Fred Gohlke