[EM] A structural fault in society owing to a design flaw in the electoral system

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Oct 7 03:00:47 PDT 2011

Dear Warren,

Thanks very much for looking at the argument.  I know of no design
flaw in the bee colony's decision process that would be equivalent to
the separation of elector from ballot, or signaller from means of
signal.  In this regard, I think the success of the species is
consistent with my thesis.

Maybe we should not be too surprised at the lack of a modern style
party system in Venice.  Many changes separate the medieval Italian
city states from Victorian Britain, including mass communication media
and a newly enfranchised electorate of millions.  It might be that the
rise of the party system cannot be pinned to a flaw in the electoral
system as my theory holds.  But there must be *some* reason why
political parties have gained influence in the selection of
candidates, in the success or failure of their campaigns, and in the
drafting and passage of laws, when these political freedoms are denied
to me.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528