[EM] Generalized symmetric ballot completion

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:52:38 PDT 2011

Juho,

a correction:
I wrote: "If a candidate is ranked on >50% of the ballots, then this method
will always produce a winner"

That is not correct. Say we have 4 A>B, 3 B>A, 3 blank.
Noone wins that election in the modified IRV election I proposed, neither
candidate has 50% of the total vote in the first and final round, but both
candidates are explicitly ranked on >50% of the ballots.

The example above illustrates the difference between the two rules I
proposed for blank voting in Condorcet elections in my previous emails. I
restate the rules again:

Rule 1 (proposed above):
 In a pairwise comparison of a Condorcet election (or in the final round of
an IRV election), a winning candidate needs to get >50% of the total votes
(including blank votes). This rule amounts to: "A majority of all voters
support A before B". Technically this is a three part election with A vs B+X
and B vs A+X. Thus we can have elections with no winner.

Rule 2 (from the generalized ballot):
A winning candidate needs to be explicitly ranked on >50% of the ballots.
This rule amounts to "A majority of all voters support the election of A
rather than having no election winner". Technically this rule means that any
candidate A has to win the election of A vs X in order to have a chance of
winning the election.

If the proposed method (call it Static-IRV) fails to produce a winner (i.e.
all IRV winners, who don't satisfy Rule 1 above are deleted), then the IRV
election would be repeated only for candidates having least 50% of explicit
ballot rankings (applying rule 2 instead of rule 1). If no candidate has at
least 50% of explicit ballot rankings, then the IRV winner would be elected.

The same heuristic could be applied for Condorcet elections.

Heuristics are frowned upon, I know, but even Schulze uses heuristics, and a
lot of them.

The benefits of the proposed Static-IRV election method is
1] to keep the LNH property as long as possible and
2] respect the blank vote and get a winner with 50% of all votes in the last
round (the run-off), if possible
3] to generate candidates with strong support for the runoff

IRV can be seen as a heuristic to generate two good candidates for a
head-to-head election.

If the blank vote is not respected and the winner is not required to have
50% of the vote, then we have a plurality voting system.

 In the Czech senatorial elections, it is not possible to vote blank in the
second round and some senators are elected with less than 50% support of the
voters, counting "invalid" votes and abstentions.
If blank votes were allowed in the second round of run-off elections, then
double-voting could be allowed too (A=B, half a vote to each) and possible
allowing for ranking of the candidates (A>B) in order to allow the voters to
compensate the blank votes.

In the Czech parliament, >50% of the votes (including abstentions) is
required for a decision.
A good argument for the blank vote and for the 50% requirement in elections
is to refer to the voting in parliament.

Do you know of any nice paper or post on this list, which discusses possible
significant modifications/improvement of the general mechanics of Condorcet
elections (apart from the debate on ranked-pairs, maximin, minimax, Schulze,
Beatpath, Copeland etc.)?

Best regards
Peter Zborník