[EM] Generalized symmetric ballot completion (was Hybrid/generalized ranked/approval ballots)

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Sun May 29 07:18:18 PDT 2011

Dear all,

please let me add a P.S. to the email below (Sun, May 29, 2011 at 3:06 PM),
where I wrote:
*"Equalities in ranking ("=") between different instances of the same
candidate could not be allowed I think (">") (i.e. the ballots A=A and
A=A=X=X would not be allowed, but A>A and A=X>A=X would be allowed though).
"*
That last restriction on the ballot is not needed either, if it was
processed correctly.
 Basically we want to simplify voting for the voter voter by allowing him to
express for instance
A=A=X=X or simply X=X=X
Those ballots will be processed as
A1=X1>A2=X2 and X1>X2>X3,
by using the following algorithm:

Generalized ballot processing algorithm:
1. Enumerate the occurances of the same candidate as they occur on the
ballot from highest rank to lowest rank.
Example: a ballot on the form A>C=A=B=A=X=A=B>D would be coded as
A1>C1=A2=B1=A3=X1=A4=B2>D1

2. Add for each equality in the ballot a number signifying the times it
occurs in the equality.
Example: A1>C1=A2=B1=A3=X1=B2=A4>D1 would be enumerated as
A11>C11=A12=B11=A23=X11=A34=B22>D11

3. Sort each equality by the number given in point 2 above
 A11>C11=A12=B11=X11=A23=B22=A34>D11

4. Replace "=" with a ">" where the number given in point 2 above is
increased
 A11>C11=A12=B11=X11>A23=B22>A34>D11

5. Drop the number given in point 2 and process normally
 A1>C1=A2=B1=X1>A3=B2>A4>D11

In this series of emails I have developed a (hopefully) coherent theory on
how to process incomplete and generalized ballots, which allow for
blank-voting, equalities and multiple occurances of the same candidate for
single and multiple winner elections, (hopefully)without violating any of
the properties of the election systems, like Woodall's plurality criterion.

The proposed processing completes incomplete ballots and gives thus the same
election results in IRV and Condorcet elections regardles of the choice of a
static or dynamic quota or the choice of winning criterion winning votes,
losing votes, margins or quotas.

Best regards
Peter Zborník