[EM] Hybrid/generalized ranked/approval ballots

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:49:57 PDT 2011

Hi Kevin,

I am sending you a small hopefully clarifying P.S. to my email below.
1] My appologies for some unfinished sentences, please disregard them

2] In my email below I state three things:

a] Giving explicitly equally ranked candidates 0.5 votes each in their
pairwise comparison, but not for unranked candidates does not violate
Woodalls's plurality criterion in a condorcet election where winning
votes are used. Woodall's plurality criterion is only violated if symetrical
completion is used and the previously unranked candidates are given 0.5
votes each.

b] In order to preserve the power of the blank vote to prevent a candidate
from being elected in a Condorcet election, it is necessary to introduce a
blank vote criterion (static quota or absolute majority criterion),
which entails the following rule: in a Condorcet single winner election a
candidate wins a pairwise comparison only if he/she gets a majority of the
total votes cast (including blank votes).

c] combinations of the rules
(i) Rule b] can be combined with rule a] (winning votes) without violating
Woodall's plurality criterion.
(ii) Rule b] can be applied for winning rules: margins and quotas similarly
as for case (i) above
(iii) With losing votes I am not sure (haven't studied this criterion), but
I guess there should be a natural extension along the principles in (i)
above.

I hope this makes the email below somewhat clearer.

Best regards
Peter Zbornik