[EM] remember Toby Nixon?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed May 25 18:35:15 PDT 2011

On May 25, 2011, at 9:17 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> [...]

being that they choose the same winner in the case that there are only
3 candidates in the cycle, i would recommend Tideman over Schulze
(sorry Marcus) for the simplicity of explanation.  while getting a
Condorcet cycle is expected to be rare enough, how often in real
elections in government, would you expect a situation where RP and
CSSD will arrive at a different result?

> It's true that historically and even recently ranked systems have
> been adopted here and elsewhere.  But
> these successes are infinitesimal in comparison to the failed
> initiatives.
>
> Why have the initiatives failed?  Overwhelmingly because the voters
> have rejected the idea of ballots that
> require ranking of candidates.

"The single affirmative vote."  a religious position, but it's more
honest than misrepresenting another principle: "One person, one
vote."  the most effective political sign was probably "Keep Voting
Simple".

what these people say they don't wanna do is vote for *anyone* other
than their choice of candidate.  it's like ranking their contingency
vote as #2 will somehow hurt their #1 choice (as it would with
Borda).  then (with IRV) they find out that their #1 choice actually
hurt their #2 choice by helping the candidate they hated the most.

this is why i'm kinda mad at FairVote.  by equating the Ranked Choice
with Hare/IRV, when IRV screwed up, they sullied the ranked ballot for
all other cases.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com