[EM] remember Toby Nixon?

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed May 25 18:07:45 PDT 2011

matt welland wrote ...

> The only strategy in
> approval is to hold your nose and check off the front runner you
> despise because you don't want the other front runner you despise
> more to win.

The main problem is determining (through the disinformation noise) who the front runners really are.
Suppose the zero-information front runners to be candidates A and B, but that the media created front
runners are C and D.  If everybody votes for one of these two falsely advertised front runners, then they
become the front runners, but only through self fulfilling prophecy.

When unbiased polls are not drowned out by the big money, this is no problem.  But after the Citizens
United decision, we have to assume that disinformation is the rule, not the exception.