[EM] electing a variable number of seats

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Thu May 19 07:24:49 PDT 2011

Isn't Jameson right?  In the non-sequential version of RRV, if there are
only two seats to be awarded and C gets niether of them, then the sum of the
C voter's grades of the elected candidates is zero, which will contribute a
huge negative value to the sum of the logs.

But if C is given one of the two seats, even though only one voter out of
100 liked C, then the C voter will have a positive sum and all the A voters
will have a positive sum, so the sum of the logs will be higher.

I guess you can try to pick a large enough epsilon so that a small group of
voters doesn't have veto power.  Has a good formula been given for choosing
the appropriate epsilon?  If you're considering the limit as epsilon goes to
zero, then it seems to be vulnerable to one voter bullet voting.

Andy