[EM] eliminate the plurality loser until there is a Condorcet winner

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu May 12 17:25:35 PDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 9:35 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> On May 11, 2011, at 3:51 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
>> James Green-Armytage asked
>>
>> Quick question for everyone: Do you happen to know when the method
>> described in the subject line (eliminate the plurality loser until
>> there is a Condorcet winner) was first proposed?

I get dizzy trying to sort this out and vote for forgetting most of it.

Those of us who agree that a Condorcet winner is a good thing should
question wandering away from the X*X matrix that is the heart of this,
and is enough to determine whether we have a CW, or have a cycle to
decipher.

Each cycle member looks up only to other members for preventing that
member from being CW - so that matrix is as far as we need to look to
decide which is most deserving..

In this thread I see much labor wasted in going back to ballot data
rather than reading what we need from the matrix.

> i was impressed with the bottom-two runoff (BTR) in that it's such a
> small change to the existing IRV method used in a few places (and
> used to be in my place).
>
> but i've been thinking that, while BTR or some other Condorcet
> compliant IRV is better than a Condorcet non-compliant IRV, it's
> still IRV and the actual method of tabulation does not allow for
> precinct summability.  if you demand precinct summability (for
> reasons of transparency in elections), then it really has to be a
> simple Condorcet method where you count pairwise tallies locally,
> post publicly and transmit upward the pairwise subtotals.  the
> election should be decided solely by the totals from the pairwise
> subtotals.  if Ranked Pairs or Schulze is used, the difference
> between totals of a pair of candidates, the "defeat strength", is
> part of the decision, but it is a derived value from the pairwise
> totals.

Seems like what I wrote above.

>> Mike Ossipoff advised me to forget it, because (having been
>> rebuffed himself
>> after proposing all of these ideas and more) he had found out by
>> sad experience
>> that the hard core IRV supporters were too closed minded
>
> i *know* i loosened a few IRV supporters here in Burlington.  but,
> unfortunately, the "Keep Voting Simple" side that brought us back to
> Plurality and Delayed Runoff believe that God herself has ordained
> the vote-for-only-one ballot.  we won't be revisiting anything with
> a ranked ballot again in my lifetime.  i hope i'm wrong about that.
>
>> to even consider
>> anything other than pure Hare/STV/AV/IRV.  Since that time I have
>> found a few
>> staunch IRV supporters that are willing to think about other
>> possibilities, but
>> on the whole Mike seems to have been right.
>
> well, when a few more towns toss out IRV, i hope that FairVote gets
> the message and starts promoting other tabulation methods than STV
> with the ranked ballot.  what makes me so mad is that Burlington
> people that are IRV supporters (because they are election reform
> people and do not believe in the two-party religion), these people
> had no idea that there was another way to look at those very same
> ballots.  Fairvote essentially sold ranked-choice voting with IRV as
> if they were the same thing.  as if there *is* no ranked-choice
> voting without IRV.

And we need to do better educating.

Dave Ketchum