[EM] I hit upon why rating is easier than ranking.

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 9 22:34:42 PDT 2011

In sincere / non-competitive Range mid-range default value could make sense. If 0 is the neutral value, then a negative value would mean that the voter prefers a random unknown candidate to that candidate.

In competitive elections the default value should normally be the lowest value / ranking for the reason that you mentioned. It is not good if the most unknown candidates are considered better than the most known ones by default. It may well be that in a competitive Approval style election with more than two candidates the well known candidates will get more bottom ratings than top ratings (i.e. there are many bullet votes).

Juho