[EM] A conversation with an English woman about IRV

⸘Ŭalabio‽ Walabio at MacOSX.Com
Wed May 4 00:14:17 PDT 2011

	2011-05-04T05:48:15Z, “Matt Welland” <Matt at Kiatoa.Com>:

> 	I think it is within reach for us to change this bad situation but we need the experts (you) to accept that the world isn't ready for the perfect solution and drive hard for the most achievable and pragmatic solution. Please consider getting behind Approval voting and to stop confusing the politicians and public with complicated ideas. Repeat this everywhere: Approval good, plurality bad, IRV worse.

	I know that we must focus like a laser.  I point out that plurality and IRV are bad.  I advocate approval with a twist:

	The ballot like thus, is fraudprone:

		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 A
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 B
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 C
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 D
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 E
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 F
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 G
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 H
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 I
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 J
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 K
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 L
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 M
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 N
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 O
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 P
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 Q
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 R
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 S
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 T
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 U
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 V
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 W
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 X
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 Y
		[ ] 	 Candidate 	 Z

	Because a supporter of O can approval O after the ballots are cast on every ballot not already approving O.  This is better:

	Instructions

	One must either approve [+] or reject [-] every candidate or the ballot is considered spoiled.

	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 A
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 B
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 C
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 D
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 E
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 F
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 G
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 H
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 I
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 J
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 K
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 L
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 M
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 N
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 O
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 P
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 Q
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 R
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 S
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 T
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 U
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 V
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 W
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 X
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 Y
	[+] 	 [-] 	 Candidate 	 Z

	Now the ballots are resistant to manipulation after voting.  This format is human/machine-readable.