[EM] Remember Toby

S Sosnick shsosnick at ucdavis.edu
Sat May 28 12:41:33 PDT 2011

On 27-May-2011, Jameson Quinn, wrote, "I agree [with Juho Laatu].  If minimax is twice as likely
to be adopted, because it's simpler, and gives >95% of the advantage vs. plurality of the
theoretically-best Condorcet methods, then it *is* the best.  And besides, if we try to get
consensus on which is the absolutely best completion method, then almost by
definition, we're going to end up arguing in circles (cycles?)."

I also agree.  More noteworthy, however, is that Nicolaus Tideman does, too.  At page 242 of
"Collective Decisions and Voting" (2006), he says, "If voters and vote counters have only a slight
tolerance for complexity, the maximin rule is the one they would reasonably choose."

--Stephen H. Sosnick (5/28/11)