[EM] Approval fraud prevention (was Re: A conversation with an English woman about IRV)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:39:26 PDT 2011

Unfortunately, there is no task that you can manually ask the voters to do,
which won't lead to unacceptably high levels of spoiled ballots. My ballot
doesn't count because I didn't vote against Wingnut Moonbat? Or because I
didn't count up my approvals correctly? Once I failed to win a competition
because I incorrectly counted and self-reported my score. Since it was a
math competition, perhaps that was just. But voting is not a math
competition; spoiled votes should be avoided.

So, you need some ballot integrity process which is separate from the voting
system used. It could be automatic photos of the ballot; it could be
machine-marked-voter-verified-paper-ballots; it could be some kind of
transparent sticker or other surface treatment; it could be multiple custody
throughout the ballot's lifetime (never let anyone alone with them); or many
other things.

Note that such a system is just as necessary for plurality, or approval with
a requirement to vote against, or whatever. I can just as easily commit
fraud by spoiling my opponents' votes as by adding votes for me.

Jameson