[EM] A conversation with an English woman about IRV

⸘Ŭalabio‽ Walabio at MacOSX.Com
Tue May 3 18:17:27 PDT 2011

	¡Hello!

	¿How fare you?

	An English woman came into my work today.  This is very unusual.  I brought up the coming referendum she will miss.  She had no opinion.  I explained that IRV which the English call AV for some crazy reason even though AV is approval voting is a false reform.  She gave me a blank stare.

	Then I brought up that with the new ballots would support Condorcet, which is better than what she call alternative vote.  She had no idea what Condorcet is.  I brought up that the old ballots support the real A V, approval voting which easily beats Plurality and IRV.  She had know idea what Approval voting is.  I said that one votes for as many candidates as one wishes, thus making the system clone-immune.

	She left.  If she is at all representative of the English as an whole, the English need much instruction about voting methods and are not qualified to vote on this referendum.  That explains why the referendum goes down to defeat for the wrong reasons:

	IRV will almost certainly loose because of FUD (fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt).  It should go down to defeat because it is still susceptible to Duverger’s Law, is not precinct-summable, costly, and nonmonotonic.

	¡Peace!

--

	“⸘Ŭalabio‽” <Walabio at MacOSX.Com>

	Skype:

	Walabio

	The first Intactivistic wiki on Earth devoted to Peaceful Beginnings:

	*	-	HTTP://Intact.Wikia.Com/

	“You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.”

	——

	Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan