[EM] One scenario, many methods, by strategies in final poll

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:54:49 PDT 2011

Great results.

I think it would help if you gave the SCWE of each method above the table,
and the SCWE of each line after that line. That way, we could see which
strategies were causing the problems with SCWE. Also, if you give further
scenarios, it would be great to see the results sorted by SCWE.

I would be interested to see results for MCA runoff methods with this. The
possibilities are:
MCA-Runoff-approval - runoff if tied median, two candidates with highest
portion at median advance (or highest approvals if failed majorities)
(I suspect the top result for this would be ---TTTT, with very high SCWE)

MCA-Runoff-preferred - as above, two winning candidates with highest top
ranking advance.
(I suspect that the top result would be MMMTTTT, with high SCWE)

Both of those systems will generally agree with the corresponding MCA-Asset
version. The exception is that MCA-Asset will almost always elect C if B is
eliminated (ineligible for transfers), while MCA-Runoff will tend to elect A
in that situation. That's because B will transfer votes to C even though
some of those original voters might have preferred the less-extreme A. Since
both of these results are probably Condorcet failures anyway, the only
important difference resulting would be if under MCA-Asset, C voters were
more inclined to truncate, while under MCA-Runoff, A voters would do so.
However, since the other side always has a defense, I don't think either of
those would hurt the SCWE. Still, it might be worth simulating MCA asset
(assuming that B would always choose to transfer votes to C, and C and A to
B; and that A would transfer votes to B if they could and C couldn't, that
is, that A would believe the implicit threat of B to transfer to C.)

If you're adding in these methods, you should add Majority Judgement as well
(eliminate median votes to break ties). This would probably come out the
same as MCA, but it is not quite identical, so it would be good to confirm
that.

Anyway. As to your actual results, it seems to me that the "good" methods
are the ones above 95%. Out of that set, it seems to me that it's clear that
MCA and Bucklin are the simplest methods to explain to voters. (Of course,
the MCA-runoff and -asset methods I propose are complex, not simple).

So, I'd like to see someone make a good argument against MCA being the best
practical single-winner reform, for combination of simplicity and strategy
resistance. There may be such an argument which I'm just too biased to see.
If not... well, all y'all can unite under my banner at last :).

Jameson