[EM] An MCA Method: the Majority Judgment

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:42:04 PST 2011

Very, very interesting. This "Majority Judgement" method almost, but not
quite, corresponds to MCA-M in my terminology (it corresponds if removing
median ratings breaks the tie by shifting one candidate down, but not if one
candidate shifts up). I have not read the book, but I enthusiastically
support any MCA method, and am glad that such a method got this level of
publicity. Also, their method is very simple to state. (I think that my
recent ideas in MCA-asset are a step forward in avoiding problems with
vote-splitting, but that does come at a very real cost of complexity, so I
can't really claim that asset-like MCA methods are strictly better than
their method).

In fact, I'd be open to considering "Majority Judgement methods" as a
synonym for the class of MCA methods. I'll still call the methods MCA here,
to avoid confusion; but I'd consider this to be the foundational book for
MCA, so their name is as good as "mine".

Jameson