[EM] Any unusual/bad/overlooked methods or lotteries? For a simulation

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 8 04:20:13 PST 2011

Hi all,

I'm working on another simulation. It is for 3-candidate elections and
allows these ballot types (if the method also allows them):
A (bullet vote)
A>B>C (strict)
A=B>C (tied at the top)
A|B>C (middle candidate ranked but "disapproved")

This should be enough to handle most rank or 2- or 3-slot methods.

The voters have some intelligence, and polling opportunity, so a method
like "elect the guy with the most last preferences" should do just as well
as Plurality.

They can be a little superstitious, especially with random methods: e.g.
Random Ballot isn't perceived as strategy-free. And there can be e.g.
burial in IRV from voters who never managed to be harmed by it.

There is no nomination strategy, but voters can decide to not vote for
their favorite candidate, if it isn't helping things.

Anyway, I'm interested in methods that might pose a challenge to my
voters (such as perhaps deterministic methods that fail majority favorite;
I have very few of these), or methods that might actually be good...

Let me know if this rings any bells.

Thanks.

Kevin Venzke