[EM] Most Tolerable or Better

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jun 29 18:31:13 PDT 2011

> On Jun 29, 2011, at 3:52 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
>
> > This is a three slot method. The two non-blank choices are
> > "tolerable" and
> > "better."
> >
> > Elect the alternative that is marked tolerable or better on
> the
> > greatest number
> > of ballots.
> >
> > If there is a tie, then elect the tied alternative that is
> marked
> > better on the
> > greatest number of ballots.

What if we changed "if there is a tie" to "if there is a statistical tie?"

In other words if the difference in the number of "tolerable or better" votes for alternatives A and B is not
statistically significant, then it is treated as a tie, and the distinction between "tolerable" and "better"
kicks in.

You could make it so that the null hypothesis of "tied tolerable and better" is rejected only five percent of
the time (when true).  This policy would make the tie breaker level (the "better" level) come into play
more frequently, thus making the game more interesting.