[EM] Most Tolerable or Better

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Jun 29 14:16:46 PDT 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 3:52 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> This is a three slot method. The two non-blank choices are
> "tolerable" and
> "better."
>
> Elect the alternative that is marked tolerable or better on the
> greatest number
> of ballots.
>
> If there is a tie, then elect the tied alternative that is marked
> better on the
> greatest number of ballots.

this seems to me to be a sorta backward-working Bucklin.  if you
replace blank with 3rd-choice, "tolerable" with 2nd-choice, and
"better" with 1st-choice, it's a basic ranked ballot like for IRV or
Condorcet or Borda or Bucklin.  it's a lot like Bucklin except Bucklin
looks first at only the 1st-choice rankings (and a tie is far less
likely than a non-majority, which is what Bucklin uses to trigger
looking at the second-round count of 1st and 2nd rankings).

it's not Bucklin, but it reminds me of Bucklin.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com