[EM] Round robin tournament statistics

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 27 01:58:26 PDT 2011

fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> [...]

It doesn't have to be strategy. I've been considering this problem in
the setting of coevolutionary algorithms. Say, for instance, you're
trying to make a game AI in a shooter. Then, very early "random"
programs might not know to shoot at each other at all, which means
nobody ever dies, and so it's always a tie.

> What I was more concerned with, ultimately, was how equal rankings would affect the significance of the
> defeat.  In other words, suppose there are 100 ballots, and W=40 support the winner, L=10 support the
> loser, and the other fifty rank them equally or truncate them both.  Does this 40 to 10 defeat have the
> same significance as a 40 to 10 defeat in which there were only fifty ballots total?
>
> According to the above model (with the independent identical distribution condition) the answer is yes.
>
> That makes things nice for comparing pairwise defeat strengths in the case of sincere rankings.
>
> As I mentioned before, these sincere rankings are most likely in the case of informal polls before the
> actual election.

I also imagine it would be useful in places where it's hard to
strategize or the context means there won't be any strategy. Such
examples might be computers in a redundant system voting about an
observation under uncertainty (the "strategy" will be a random
distortion) or actual round robin tournaments (where engineering a
Condorcet cycle based on just one's own matchups would be quite hard).